At YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles we believe we are at our best when we are focused on equity and have fully integrated the practices of Diversity, Inclusion, & Global Engagement into all areas of our operations.
BECOME A U.S. CITIZEN
The New American Welcome Centers (NAWC) at the YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles was designed to help immigrants and refugees—also referred to as newcomers—fully integrate into American society and prepare receiving communities to be welcoming and inclusive.
Since our launch in 2017, we have served over 10,500 community members with an array of workshops, resources, courses, events, and partnerships that aim to holistically meet the unique needs of all who participate.
Strengthening communities is our cause and we are committed to helping people reach their full potential. We believe the strength and cohesiveness of our communities is linked to the overall prosperity of the nation. With more than 42 million foreign-born individuals living in the United States, it is more important than ever to foster an environment that encourages immigrant integration and community cohesion.
The Y is a global movement, with a presence in 119 countries. We recognize the global communities in our own backyard as significant contributors. We intentionally partner with Ys abroad to strengthen Los Angeles and cultivate purposeful connection between Los Angeles area residents and the
THE Y MAKES A DIFFERENCE
The NAWC integration model empowers immigrants to achieve their full potential and prepares receiving communities to be inclusive through a focus on direct and referral services, community partnerships, & bridge-building activities. Our program pathways revolve around:
- Language and Education
- Economic Integration and Employment
- Health and Well-being
- Citizenship and Civic Engagement
- Community Development
The services our NAWC provide are:
- Citizenship/Naturalization Clinics
- DACA/TPS/Know Your Rights workshops
- Early Learning Readiness (Head Start)
- Financial Literacy Workshops
- Health screenings
- Immigration Information Sessions
- Nutrition Wellness Program
- Immigration Application Assistance
Since 2017, the New American Welcome Center has been able to partner and collaborate with the following community agencies:
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- Bet Tzedek
- Catholic Legal Immigration Network
- Consulate General of Mexico
- Department of Public Social Services
- East Los Angeles Community College
- Franco Law Group
- Get Empowered!
- Human Services Association
- Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs
- Mi Centro/Latino Equality Alliance
- Ruckus Roots
- UCLA Dream Resource Center
- Violence Intervention Program
- YMCA of the United States
Funding Support from the following:
- Citi Bank
- California Community Foundation
- California Department of Social Services
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Los Angeles
For more information and to schedule an consultation at the NAWC, please contact NAWC@ymcaLA.org.